Y'all I'm not even joking when I tell you that I am NOT a morning person! You do not want to even look at me much less talk to me until I've had my coffee. This is why I realized a few years back that I had to make some changes to my morning routine, or lack there of and fast. I was constantly in a bad mood and losing my shit on my kiddos in the morning. And it was because I had no control of my mornings, no routine and I was waking up with my kids. It was time to win back my morning! These few changes that I made have had such a positive impact on my days, my attitude, my level of productivity and my sanity. I urge you to give these few changes a try so you too, can win your mornings.
1. Wake up before your kids! I know I thought this concept was crazy. When your kids sleep, you sleep, right?! No, that just applies to babies, y'all! I like to wake up a good hour before my kiddos so that I have plenty of time to drink my coffee and complete my morning routine. But even if its only a half an hour, it's better than nothing. My tip to actually getting up when my alarm goes off? Put your phone/alarm in the other room so you are forced to get up to shut it off. I swear it works!
2. Drink water As soon as you wake up, before your coffee, drink 20 ounces of water. You've been asleep all night and your body is dehydrated, you need the water. It will also help give you a burst of energy. Plus, all of the benefits of drinking water- great skin, energy, helps with digestion....
3. Meditate/Pray Whether you pray or just take the time to meditate quietly, it's up to you, but take this time to just be grateful. I recommend at least 10 minutes in silence! And this means before you ever check your phone! Yes, you read that right! There are no emergencies waiting for you on Facebook. Start your day off right, by spending time with you and in gratitude before you add all the outside noise into your life.
4. Read/listen to personal development Some of you guys are gonna try and skip this step but I hope you don't. Five years ago, I had never read a personal development book and never wanted to. Fast forward to now and I've read or listened countless books on becoming the best version of me. It has truly been life changing. No matter where you are in your life, there's always room for growth. Don't like to read? There are plenty of audio books to choose from or even choose a podcast. Stay tuned to my blog for a list of my favorite personal development books and podcasts.
5. Exercise I used to hate to workout in the morning but now I love it and can't imagine it any other way. It just starts your morning off on the right foot and sets the tone for the day. You don't need a lot of time, you just need to get your body moving. Often, my workouts are 30 minutes or less. If you need ideas for workouts, I use Beachbody on Demand where I get access to 100s of different workouts for every fitness level.
There you have it, 5 ways to win back your mornings! I hope this helps you and I seriously hope you give these a try. They have truly been life changing for me. I would love to hear your feedback.
If you love it, share it!